8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 scallion, finely minced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
1 tablespoon finely snipped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Pinch of table salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Crispbread crackers or thinly sliced rye bread, for serving
Baby cucumbers, for serving
In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, scallion, parsley, chives, dill, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Reserve a small amount of fresh dill for garnish. Mix until everything is evenly distributed. Cover and chill the mixture at least 1 hour before serving.
Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture on a crispbread cracker. Repeat until all of the cream cheese mixture has been used. Top with the baby cucumber slices, and sprinkle with the reserved fresh dill. Eat immediately.
Other ideas for open sandwiches:
• Instead of the baby cucumbers, top the herbed cream cheese mixture with smoked salmon and very thinly sliced red onions.
• For a heartier snack, use thin slices of European rye bread instead of the crispbread crackers. It can be found in the bread aisle of higher-end grocery stores, and is usually packaged in little bricks. It tastes best lightly toasted.
• Goat’s cheese, fresh herbs and shaved asparagus and cucumber.
• Rare roast beef with horseradish cream, quick-pickled onions and cornichons.
• Smoked mackerel, crème fraîche, pickled rhubarb and watercress.
• Boiled eggs with dill and chive herb mayo, anchovies, capers, red onion and cress.